Stack Exchange, Inc. (stackoverflow.com / serverfault.com) is hosting the launch party for Tom Limoncelli's newest book, "The Practice of Cloud System Administration." The local DevOps/Sysadmin/Linux user community is invited. Food and beverages will be provided.
- Date: Wed, Sept. 17, 2014
- Time: 7 p.m. until 9 p.m.
- Location: Stack Exchange NYC HQ, 110 William Street, 28th Floor, NY, NY 10038
- Directions: http://s.tk/NYCDirections
- RSVP: click here
Information about the book: http://the-cloud-book.com
If you are in town for Velocity NYC, please stop by!
About the book:
Volume 2, The Practice of Cloud System Administration, focuses on "distributed" or "cloud" computing and brings a DevOps/SRE sensibility to the practice of system administration. Unsatisfied with books that cover either design or operations in isolation, the authors created this authoritative reference centered around a comprehensive approach. Case studies and examples from Google, Twitter, Facebook, Etsy, Netflix, Amazon and other industry giants are explained in practical ways that are useful to all enterprises. The new companion volume to the best-selling Volume 1, Practice of System and Network Administration, it offers expert coverage of these and many other crucial topics:
DESIGNING and building modern web and distributed systems:
- Fundamentals of large system design
- Understand the new software engineering implications of cloud administration
- Make systems that are resilient to failure and grow and scale dynamically
- Implement DevOps principles and cultural changes
- IaaS/ PaaS/ SaaS and virtual platform selection
OPERATING and and running systems using the latest DevOps/ SRE strategies: - Upgrade production systems with zero down-time - What and how to automate; How to decide what not to automate - Oncall best practices that improve uptime - Why distributed systems require fundamentally different system administration techniques - Identify and resolve resiliency problems before they surprise you.
ASSESSING and evaluating your team's operational effectiveness: - Manage through a scientific process of continuous improvement - A 40+ page pain-free assessment system you can start using today
"There's an incredible amount of depth and thinking in the practices described here, and it's impressive to see it all in one place." -- Win Treese, co-author of Designing Systems for Internet Commerce.
About the authors:
- Thomas A. Limoncelli is internationally recognized author, speaker, and system administrator with 20+ years of experience at companies like Google, Bell Labs and Stack Exchange.
- Strata R. Chalup has 25+ years experience in Silicon Valley focusing on IT strategy, best-practices, and scalable infrastructures at firms including Apple, Sun, Cisco, McAfee, and Palm.
- Christina J. Hogan has 20+ years experience in system administration and network engineering, from Silicon Valley, to Italy, and Switzerland. She has a Masters in CS, a PhD in Aeronautical Engineering and has been part of a Formula 1 racing team.