Here are my predictions for 2015:
- Bloggers who make stupid, attention-getting, predictions will not be held accountable when those predictions don't come true.
- Windows-only enterprises have started buying Apple laptops to run Windows 10 due to the lower repair rate of the higher quality hardware. This trend will increase and Apple will run a marketing campaign to take advantage of the trend.
- The battle between Docker and CoreOS to define the container format of the future will stall the industry as it gets more and more nasty. If you thought VHS vs. Betamax was bad, or that AT&T vs. BSD Unix was bad, this will be 100x worse.
- The Microsoft container equivalent of docker will create more confusion than anyone could have expected.
- Sadly the trend of encouraging girls to get interested in STEM at a young age will dissipate moments after the media spotlight goes away.
- At least one company will claim to sell a "DevOps Appliance" that you can plug in, press the "on" button, and "have devops at your company".
- I will not make fun of a company for marketing to my employer's WHOIS contact.
- The industry that makes and sells bloated, over-priced, shitty, software development tools (the ones that have caused many of the problems in our industry) will repackage those tools as "DevOps" and make a lot of money doing so.
- "DevOps is more than Release Engineering" will be the theme of at least one DevOps conference.
- Real products announced on April 1st will be dismissed as jokes... again.
- Google will cancel the following projects: Sites, Code, and... probably a lot more too.
- By December 2015, Tom Limoncelli will decide not to do another "Predictions for next year" blog post.
These are my predictions for 2015. I wish all my readers success and happiness in 2015.