Until Linus starting using the Penguin as a symbol, all the images around Unix were a wizard. Ã‚Â This required people to explain that Unix was so completely complicated that only wizards understood it. Ã‚Â The perception of the "Unix Wizard" eventually became more of a hindrance than a badge of pride. Ã‚Â It was brilliant for Linus to adopt the Penguin, which is friendly, cute, and cuddly. Ã‚Â Changing the symbol from a Wizard to a Penguin may have done more for the marketing of *nix systems than years of corporate efforts by AT&T/USL, HP, Sun, and so on.
Best of Blog
- In NYC for Velocity?
- Why is TPOCSA called "Volume 2"?
- Configure Appigo Todo Cloud for use with The Cycle
- NYC Book Launch Party for "The Practice of Cloud System Administration"
- The ebook is shipping!
- Tom @ LOPSA NJ Chapter Monthly Meeting, Princeton NJ, Sept 4, 2014
- Stack Exchange is hiring sysadmins (come work with me!)
- Good Reads, Aug 2014
- TPOCSA Book Tour announcement!
- Tom speaking at LOPSA-NJ September meeting (near Princeton/Trenton)