Until Linus starting using the Penguin as a symbol, all the images around Unix were a wizard. Ã‚Â This required people to explain that Unix was so completely complicated that only wizards understood it. Ã‚Â The perception of the "Unix Wizard" eventually became more of a hindrance than a badge of pride. Ã‚Â It was brilliant for Linus to adopt the Penguin, which is friendly, cute, and cuddly. Ã‚Â Changing the symbol from a Wizard to a Penguin may have done more for the marketing of *nix systems than years of corporate efforts by AT&T/USL, HP, Sun, and so on.
Best of Blog
- Tom speaking at BayLISA meetup, Thu, March 16, 2017
- February NYCDevOps meetup: Tiny Talks CfP
- Tom speaking at NYCDevOps meetup, Feb 21, 2017
- Tom @ NYCDevOps, NY, Feb 21, 2017
- Cascadia IT Conference: Registration is open!
- New North Jersey Meetup, Wed, Feb 1, 2017
- Moving application plists to a new machine on macOS
- How I manage my work and personal GitHub accounts
- RIP John Boris
- How Stack Overflow plans to survive the next DNS attack