Until Linus starting using the Penguin as a symbol, all the images around Unix were a wizard. Ã‚Â This required people to explain that Unix was so completely complicated that only wizards understood it. Ã‚Â The perception of the "Unix Wizard" eventually became more of a hindrance than a badge of pride. Ã‚Â It was brilliant for Linus to adopt the Penguin, which is friendly, cute, and cuddly. Ã‚Â Changing the symbol from a Wizard to a Penguin may have done more for the marketing of *nix systems than years of corporate efforts by AT&T/USL, HP, Sun, and so on.
See us live(rss)
- Tom @ LOPSA NJ Chapter Monthly Meeting, Princeton NJ, Sept 4, 2014
I'll be the speaker at the LOPSA-NJ...
- Tom @ Usenix LISA 2014, Seattle WA, Nov 9-14, 2014
For details, visit the conference website https://www.usenix.org/conference/lisa14....
- Tom @ Velocity NYC, Sept 15-17, 2014
I'll be giving a tutorial called "Time...
Best of Blog
- TPOCSA Book Tour announcement!
- Tom speaking at LOPSA-NJ September meeting (near Princeton/Trenton)
- Save up to 55% off on our new book for a short time
- I'm giving away 1 free ticket to PuppetConf 2014!
- LISA 2014 OMG
- How sysadmins can best understand Burning Man
- Maybe the problem was...
- Simple bucket-ized stats in awk
- New DevOps meetup starting in New Jersey!
- Online course: An Introduction to Operations Management starting soon