Until Linus starting using the Penguin as a symbol, all the images around Unix were a wizard. Ã‚Â This required people to explain that Unix was so completely complicated that only wizards understood it. Ã‚Â The perception of the "Unix Wizard" eventually became more of a hindrance than a badge of pride. Ã‚Â It was brilliant for Linus to adopt the Penguin, which is friendly, cute, and cuddly. Ã‚Â Changing the symbol from a Wizard to a Penguin may have done more for the marketing of *nix systems than years of corporate efforts by AT&T/USL, HP, Sun, and so on.
Best of Blog
- Watch my Punk Rock DevOps talk live on Friday at 2:30pm PT
- DevOps Handbook hitting stores Oct 6!
- Why Google should buy Twitter
- Discounts on The Practice books until Sept 19!
- TPOSANA launched 15 years ago today!
- Survey: What makes joining a new team difficult/easy?
- USB cables should be "charge-only" by default
- Automating a CI environment for Android Apps
- I'll be speaking at NYC SRE Meetup next week (Wed)
- Survey on easy of use for configuration management languages