Until Linus starting using the Penguin as a symbol, all the images around Unix were a wizard. Ã‚Â This required people to explain that Unix was so completely complicated that only wizards understood it. Ã‚Â The perception of the "Unix Wizard" eventually became more of a hindrance than a badge of pride. Ã‚Â It was brilliant for Linus to adopt the Penguin, which is friendly, cute, and cuddly. Ã‚Â Changing the symbol from a Wizard to a Penguin may have done more for the marketing of *nix systems than years of corporate efforts by AT&T/USL, HP, Sun, and so on.
See us live(rss)
- Tom @ SpiceWorld, Austin, TX, Oct 29-30, 2013
Tom will be the Tuesday evening Keynote...
- Tom @ Usenix LISA 2013, Washington DC, Nov 3-8, 2013
Tom will be teaching 2 tutorials, doing...
Best of Blog
- Today I applied to get my LOPSA LPR
- Ask Slashdot: Application Security Non-existent, Boss Doesn't Care. What To Do?
- LOPSA-East 2014: Call for Participation
- Tomorrow is Giving Tuesday: Here are the organizations I support (and you should too)
- Deadline for Cascadia IT talk proposals extended to Dec 9:
- Stop monitoring whether or not your service is up!
- Evi Nemeth Update
- Summary of "Evil Genius 101" Tutorial
- How to provide infinite disk storage
- Open office hours at LISA