Until Linus starting using the Penguin as a symbol, all the images around Unix were a wizard. Ã‚Â This required people to explain that Unix was so completely complicated that only wizards understood it. Ã‚Â The perception of the "Unix Wizard" eventually became more of a hindrance than a badge of pride. Ã‚Â It was brilliant for Linus to adopt the Penguin, which is friendly, cute, and cuddly. Ã‚Â Changing the symbol from a Wizard to a Penguin may have done more for the marketing of *nix systems than years of corporate efforts by AT&T/USL, HP, Sun, and so on.
Best of Blog
- RIP John Boris
- How Stack Overflow plans to survive the next DNS attack
- NYCDevOps meetup is re-starting!
- Are You Load Balancing Wrong?
- Tom speaking at the new LOPSA-NJ Montclair Meetup
- Notes on implementing flags for flag flips
- InfoQ's interview with the co-authors of TPOSANA 3rd edition
- Gall bladder Removal
- What I learned at LISA '16
- Tom + Christine @ SESA'16, Boston, MA, Dec 6, 2016