Until Linus starting using the Penguin as a symbol, all the images around Unix were a wizard. Ã‚Â This required people to explain that Unix was so completely complicated that only wizards understood it. Ã‚Â The perception of the "Unix Wizard" eventually became more of a hindrance than a badge of pride. Ã‚Â It was brilliant for Linus to adopt the Penguin, which is friendly, cute, and cuddly. Ã‚Â Changing the symbol from a Wizard to a Penguin may have done more for the marketing of *nix systems than years of corporate efforts by AT&T/USL, HP, Sun, and so on.
Best of Blog
- Tom will be the October speaker at Philly Linux Users Group (central)
- Tom @ Austin Cloud Meetup
- IPv6 is real... and mentioned on The Cobert Report
- Tom @ PuppetNYC Meetup: Tue, July 22
- Change-Able Operations or "Could DevOps Save Spiderman?"
- ANNOUNCEMENT: Our newest website: the-cloud-book.com
- Tom speaking at Puppet NYC Meetup
- Moving the StackExchange/Serverfault NYC Datacenter
- All chapters available as "rough cuts" on SBO
- Damn you, LinkedIn